T he Hoover family has been in Hershey since 1950 and in Linglestown since 1971. However, their roots in funeral service go back to the late 1800's. It all started when Lawrence Wellington Hoover, a carpenter by trade, purchased the funeral assets of Peter W. Bishop in Berrysburg located in Upper Dauphin County. He operated the funeral establishment until his unexpected death in 1907. His nephew, Walter W. Hoover assumed leadership of the business assisted by his brothers. Years later, Walter was assisted by his sons; J. Richard and Warren R. Hoover.
In 1950, Lawrence Wellingtons great nephew, Warren R. Hoover and wife Myrtle relocated to Hershey and opened a funeral home on West Granada Avenue. Times were very tough initially, however, the business eventually took hold and flourished. After his untimely death in 1978, Warren's sons, Warren R. Hoover, Jr., who owned and operated the funeral home in Linglestown, and Sheldon K. "Bud" Hoover formed a partnership to continue operations of the business. The continued growth of both businesses forced the relocation of the Hershey operations to a new facility in 1990 and the expansion and modernization of the Linglestown location as well.